We’re all about fueling the body with healthy and sustainable energy so it should come as no surprise that breakfast is our favorite meal of the day! Our ideal breakfast holds a blend of healthy proteins, fats, and energy-generating ingredients. It’s simple to make, travel-friendly, able to be made in bulk and refrigerated for later, and hunger satiating. Can you guess what checks all these boxes? You got it...the protein pancake!
But not just any version. We experimented with a variety of recipes and have found that most are still made with gluten flours--leaving us sluggish and out-of-focus--while others don’t use the most potent ingredients to maintain the level of health and energy-boost we so greatly desire in the morning. As a result of these findings, we decided to design our own!
For the muscle-heads out there this recipe provides a high intake of the good stuff. We use Grass-fed Whey Protein, a GMO, gluten, chemical and pesticide-free protein powder. Though not dairy-free, this whey protein comes from grass-fed cows grazing in organic pastures so you can rest assured that you’re getting the most quality ingredients. Combine the ingredients in the recipe below, and you’re looking at approximately 94 grams of protein in the entire batch (resulting from eggs, coconut flour and whey protein). This is about 6-8 grams in each [thin] pancake!
Sounds good, right? We’re not done yet. What we love most about this recipe is an unexpected, wild card of an ingredient...beets! That’s right. This power veggie ups the ante on your typical morning meal. Organic Beet Juice Powder awakens your plate by adding a vibrant magenta pigment. In addition, these heirloom beets contain potent phytonutrients that act as disease-fighters and aid in keeping your body at its peak health.
Take these pancakes in the car on the way to work or even enjoy as an afternoon snack. They’re great hot or cold and taste delicious when adding your favorite nut butters or fresh fruit to accompany every bite.
½ cup of Coconut Flour
½ cup of Grass-fed Whey Protein
½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
6 large eggs *farm fresh preferred
1 cup of Coconut Creamer
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of Raw Honey
2 teaspoons of Organic Beet Juice Powder
Ghee for cooking
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 12-15 medium pancakes
1. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients including the Coconut Flour, Grass-fed Whey Protein, baking soda and salt
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs, Coconut Creamer, and vanilla extract evenly.
3. Then, combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones and mix until the batter is even.
4. Slowly pour the first teaspoon of beet powder into your mixture and stir into the mix until your desired “pink” tone. Note the beet powder has a mild taste so it won’t be noticeable in your pancakes. If you desire to add the second teaspoon, your pancakes will be a bit darker in color but still taste great!
5. Heat your frying pan to low to medium heat and cook for a few minutes on each side.
Serve and garnish with your favorite fruit, maple syrup or nut butter.