We’ve got a thing for french bakeries. Bite-sized pastries, fancy espresso drinks, curiously shaped breads, and that feeling that so much care went into the creation and preparation of this beautiful meal that the calories just don't count. The intricate elegance of it all immediately takes us out of our day-to-day grind and into the sophistication of a streetside Parisian cafe.
So the other day we got to thinking, what if we could channel that feeling into our food without the cups of refined flour and bowls of sugar? What if we could make fancy, sophisticated and elegant in our [admittedly] very health-focused kitchen? Enter, the quiche. A simple, creative dish that pays homage to French cooking while satiating your hunger with protein-packed flavor. We love not only the taste but the variability that this dish has to offer. Make it on a Sunday and meal-plan your lunches for a week, prep a colorful version to impress your guests, or whip it up for any old family dinner when you’re short on time.
Our version of choice is loaded with vegetables that cover the entire inner filling of the dish making the egg-to-filling ratio high enough to pack a nutritional punch. We layer these over a coconut flour gluten-free crust, which - unlike heavy filo dough or the all purpose white flour crust found in most cafes and store-bought quiche - is made with coconut flour, eggs and coconut oil. In addition, this base makes a good case for being even more flavorful than some of the traditional options.
We chose coconut flour because it truly is the best gluten-free option on the market. Naturally low in digestive carbohydrates, loaded with fiber, and containing nearly as much protein as it’s whole wheat alternative, this flour is excellent in protein pancakes, waffles and many other baked goods. For more ways to use coconut flour download our free e-book.
The health, simplicity, and creativity of this delicious meal can vary quiche by quiche, making it our go to for entertaining. Add smoked salmon to spice it up at brunch for your friends or toss in some cheddar with pancetta for a gourmet twist. The possibilities are endless and the room for error is vast so get creative! By swapping out an ingredient or two you’ve created a whole new opportunity to enjoy this sophisticated meal time and time again.
Gluten-Free Veggie Packed Quiche
½ cup Coconut Flour
⅓ cup Coconut Oil
2 large Eggs *farm fresh preferred
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
6 large eggs *farm fresh preferred
½ tsp Coconut Oil
⅓ cup Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
½ White Onion
2 cups Spinach
1 Red Pepper
¾ tsp Thyme
½ tps Himalayan Sea Salt
½ tps Black Pepper
Prep Time:30 minutes
Bake Time:30 minutes
Serves: 8 people
1. Preheat oven to 350° F
3. Add [crust] eggs and stir until smooth.
4. Once dough is ready begin layering it into a 9” glass pie dish. Evenly distribute the dough on both the bottom and sides of the dish to cover it in its entirety. No need to pre-grease the dish as the oils in the dough will prevent sticking.
5. Bake crust 10–15 minutes or until lightly browned. Note the sides may brown more rapidly than the bottom.
6. While the crust is cooking dice up the onion, red pepper and zucchini into bite-sized pieces.
7. Melt the Coconut Oil in a medium skillet, set over medium heat and add the vegetables to the the pan. Sauté for 2-5 minutes until soft and/or are lightly browned.
8. Add thyme and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste followed by spinach for the last minute or so until wilted.
9. Remove crust from the oven and let both the crust and vegetables cool.
10. In medium bowl whisk together [filling] eggs and milk.
11. Spread veggies onto the crust evenly. Pour filling mixture over veggies until fully covered.
12. Sprinkle Dr. Cowan's Garden Kale Powder on top for extra nutrients.
13. Bake for 30 minutes. Check if filling is set in the middle using toothpick. Let cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.