What exactly is the definition of an essential nutrient? An essential nutrient is one that is required for life and health that your body cannot produce itself. Both salt and water are considered essential nutrients. They are inextricably linked. Your body is made up of approximately 70% water and your brain contains about 80% water. You will find approximately 250 grams of salt in your adult body and 14 grams of salt in your baby's body. Water and salt are necessary for effective metabolism, detoxification, and transportation of nutrients as well as for optimal functioning of your hormonal, nervous and immune systems. The first step in any plan to optimize your health is to ensure adequate intake of quality water and unrefined salt.
Why Unrefined Salt?
There is a huge difference between refined and unrefined salt! Refined salt has had all of its minerals removed during processing. To make matters worse, chemicals used to treat refined salt may include sulfuric acid or chlorine! Then, to make sure it stays free flowing, agents such as sodium ferrocyanide, ammonium citrate and aluminum silicate may be added. Refined salt is essentially a lifeless product that has no place in your diet!
Besides sodium and chloride, unrefined salt contains over 80 minerals. It is the perfect source of salt for your body! It provides a proper balance of nutrients that include minerals and elements that your body can utilize.
Vital to health, unrefined salt can help:
- Adrenal disorders
- Blood pressure
- Cholesterol levels
- Immune system function
- Thyroid disorders
Unrefined salt can also help with many common ailments:
- Runny nose: mix 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 8 oz pure water and use as a nasal spray
- Gastritis: a pinch of salt with meals buffers excess acidity in the stomach
- Insect bites: cover bite or sting with warm salt paste
- Muscle cramps: take pinch of salt with water before bed
- Thin sputum: mix a pinch of salt in water for a great expectorant
- Poison ivy: soak area in 1 quart warm water mixed with 1/4 tsp salt