In many cultures, coconut oil is a traditional source of nutritional fats. Modern day scientists are beginning to understand what indigenous people of the tropics have known for centuries. Coconut oil plays a role in health, healing and disease prevention.
Health benefits of unrefined virgin coconut oil include:
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Fights infection
- Prevents degenerative disease
- Increases immunity
- Decreases inflammation
- Increases metabolism
- Assists with weight loss
- Soothes skin conditions
- Protects the liver
- Treats degenerative diseases including diabetes, cancer, candida, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and more
No health-promoting kitchen should be without unrefined virgin coconut oil. Replace refined oils with coconut oil. Bake, saute and fry with coconut oil.
High Heat Damages Fat
When high heat is applied to oils, damaged fat molecules result. These molecules are damaging to the body when ingested. They increase the free radical damage that contributes to the development of degenerative diseases, such as cancer and heart disease.
Unrefined virgin coconut oil is heat-stable with a smoke point of 230 degrees C (446 degrees F). This is the highest of any unrefined vegetable fat. In comparison, the smoke point of olive oil is 190 degrees C (374 degrees F) and the smoke point of flaxseed oil is 112 degrees C (374 degrees F). Coconut oil can be used in healthful, hot food recipes. Bake, saute and fry with coconut oil for safe, healthful and tasty results!
These are some of our favorite coconut oil recipes:
- Coconut Bars, p. 548 Nourishing Traditions
- Peanut Cookies, p. 528, Nourishing Traditions
- Seasoned Coconut Oil, p. 191, Coconut Oil Miracle
- Coconut Mayonnaise, p. 192, Coconut Oil Miracle
- Vinegar and Oil Dressing, p. 193, Coconut Oil Miracle
- Crunchy Breakfast Cereal, p. 37, Healthy 4 Life
- Yogurt Smoothie, p. 24, Healthy 4 Life