What is the X-Factor? High Vitamin Butter Oil!
Weston Price was a pioneering researcher who discovered the healthiest indigenous peoples around the world and determined how their diets influenced their perfect health. After carrying out the most extraordinary cross-cultural research for over a decade around the globe, Dr. Price also conducted groundbreaking research back in his laboratory. He was able to pinpoint what nutrients were responsible for the extraordinary health and physical development of the native peoples he studied. It was through this research that Dr. Price discovered the substance he called the X-Factor, a fat-soluble vitamin, and the health properties it offered.
The "X-Factor" or Activator X is a substance that Dr. Price discovered in certain foods, which both hyper-activated any vitamin A in the diet, and helped one to better assimilate minerals as well. Dr. Price found that butter produced from cows eating growing green grass contained a very high amount of the X-Factor. No wonder certain cultures prized butter as a superior, nutrient dense food!
Dr. Price demonstrated the therapeutic value of foods rich in X-Factor himself when he made highly concentrated butter oil from cows fed growing green grass and used it with his own patients.
According to Dr. Price, the X-Factor "plays an essential role in the maximum utilization of body-building minerals...and plays an important role in infant growth and reproduction." Read about Price's full account of X-Factor in chapter 22 of his seminal book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
Essential Components of High Vitamin Butter Oil
- CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid): Facilitates normal cellular growth and metabolism. CLA has also been found to help enhance muscle growth, promote normal blood sugar levels and support a healthy immune system. Naturally occurring CLA is six times more effective than synthetically produced CLA.
- Wulzen Factor: Supports joint health and function. Called the "anti-stiffness" factor, researcher Dr. Rosalind Wulzen discovered that this substance helps protect humans and animals from calcification of the joints. Additionally, it protects and supports the circulatory system, ocular (eye) membranes, and pineal (the "master" gland) health. The Wulzen factor is found in unpasteurized dairy products, but it is destroyed at high temperatures.
- Butyric Acid: Soothes intestinal wall cells irritated by the penetration of roots/rhizoids of Candida Albicans overgrowth (leaky gut syndrome). An important energy source for the cells lining the G.I. tract.
- Vitamin A: Aids digestion of protein, minerals and water-soluble vitamins. Essential for numerous biochemical processes. Dr. Price's research found that protein, minerals, and water-soluble vitamins cannot be utilized without vitamin A from animal sources. (Though carotene from plants can convert to vitamin A, many people- particularly infants, children, diabetics and those with poor thyroid function- cannot make this conversion.) Vitamin A is also a powerful antioxidant, protecting the body from pollutants and free radicals. It aids protein digestion by stimulating secretion of gastric juices and plays a vital role in building strong bones and blood.
- Vitamin D: Assists with maximum calcium absorption. Vitamin D is essential for strong bones, healthy teeth and normal growth. Dr. Price found that healthy native peoples' diets were rich in vitamin D from foods like butterfat, eggs, liver, organ meats, marine oils and seafood.
Synergy of Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil
Research shows that butter oil and cod liver oil, taken together, provide complementary factors leading to proper essential fatty acid balance. High-vitamin butter oil contains arachidonic acid (AA), an omega-6 fatty acid, while cod liver oil is rich in eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), an omega-3. Moreover, the saturated fatty acids in the butter oil promote efficient utilization of the unsaturated fatty acids in the cod liver oil. Finally, butter oil contains a broad and deep range of important quinones including vitamin K, E and CoQ enzymes while cod liver oil is rich in vitamins A and D.
The story of Dr. Price's X-Factor discovery and the union of high-vitamin raw butter oil with high vitamin cod liver oil continues to spread. As more people experience this dynamic duo, they begin to understand why Dr. Price found these two precious oils so completely synergistic.